Were your ears perked by the feedback from Part 1 of our January 2013 Leadership Exchange? If so, we've got more to feed your curiosity. Below are Part 2 questions and feedback highlights. You can also listen to Part 2 by downloading the MP3 link above. Part 1 of the Leadership Exchange can be found HERE.
1. What tools can a product manufacturer provide to you that will help you specify their product?
+ BIM library
+ Good website
+ Binders that offer quick access to product information
+ Knowledgeable sales rep
2. Do you often design a project with a certain product(s) in mind?
+ Prefer prorietary specs and products, but not always available and can work around
3. When working on a project with a tight budget, what product category do you go to first?
+ Construction is construction, so start with finishes when cutting a budget
+ Allowing clients to shop online for products, such as plumbing fixtures, so budget is loosened up
+ Start where there are the fewest options of a product and make those selections first, such as flooring
4. If you have a brand of product you are most comfortable using, what might encourage you to try a new brand of the same type of product? What drives brand loyalty for you?
+ Must have greater or equal value or price
5. What are three things a manufacturer can do to make you notice them?
+ General Contractors like the product enough to refer
+ Product has a great and easy-to-use website
6. What is one thing a manufacturer can do that will make you roll your eyes?
+ Claiming that use of product will provide a LEED point
+ Sales reps with poor installation knowledge
7. Does a call from a sales rep for a product manufacturer influence your specification decision?
+ Only call to schedule a visit to office
+ Showing multiple products at once is more enticing to schedule a meeting
+ Must know installation well -- bring "A game"
+ Never show same product twice, respect time
8. Does a company or brand that gives back to the community or supports a cause influence your specification decision?
+ Respect companies that chooses to give back, but does NOT affect specification of product
+ Choosing to give back is more internal for business than customer facing
9. What are some challenges you run into during product specification, and how can a manufacturer help alleviate those challenges?
+ Be available!
+ Great customer service
+ Coordination with the field, keeping an eye on specs to ensure they are correct
10. What is an original product you most recently heard about and are excited about using in an upcoming project?
+ Integrated Product Delivery
+ Products involving technology
+ Familiar products used in new ways -- exterior products for the interior
We know your struggles and challenges because we work with key industry players just like you every day. And through events like the Leadership Exchange, we stay on the pulse of the BPM industry, providing you guidance and strategy to build a better bottom line. Give us a call to set up a discovery meeting and learn how our industry expertise can help you.